[UK-CONTEST] VHF NFD

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 9 05:38:23 EDT 2008

> There is some mild debate in the team if we?ll do this one again. I?m told
> that VHF can be fun with some lifts into the continent but maybe
> Silverstone, Wimbledon and perhaps the rain damped that down ? as did lift
> conditions I think.

Probably all of those factors may have played a part however activity on
V/UHF has declined dramatically partly I believe due to the changes in
licensing over the past few years. In particular the removal of the CW
requirement for HF operation and the immediate access to the HF bands for
foundation/novice licensees has played a major part in this. Looking through
contest results for HF & V/UHF contests shows that very few new licensees
take part in any of these events. In the days when the leading stations were
working towards 1000 QSO's these events used to be fun, is it worth taking
the time & effort required to take part in a 24hr event where even the
leaders now only make 300 - 400 QSO's? (less than half the QSO rate of
leaders in HF NFD).

When it comes to entering VHF NFD as a club event having recently taken part
in HF NFD even with a membership of 50+ finding enough members who are
prepared to take part is next to impossible not helped fact that most of the
members are also 50+ and enthusiasm for getting wet & staying up all night
in a draughty tent has diminished.
Getting access to sites has become more difficult, most local sites which
we've used in the past are now blocked to vehicles to prevent them being
used as a dumping ground for stolen burnt out cars etc.

> I?m amazed that with all those FT847s and TS2000s sold, few operators
> perhaps even knew to turn on their radios for an hour and work a few of us
> /P stations on 6m, 2m and 70cms. > Callum (M0MCX)

They probably don't know how to change band or mode, one 'operator' when
asked to QSY from his local repeater to an FM simplex frequency, said that
he didn't know how to! Although I have to say that some of today's menu
driven radios are not the easiest things to operate.

I was surprised to find that when I offered QSO's on other bands very few of
the /P stations worked in VHF NFD could be bothered to take up my offer,
'the other bands are in another tent etc...'. The exception to this was
MM0CPS/P who I worked on 4m and was then able to work on 70cm with just 5W,
conditions at that time couldn't have been too bad. I also find it strange
that few /P stations give their locations when calling CQ, it really helps
to know which way to turn the beam before calling someone.

73....

Ken G3LVP

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.