[UK-CONTEST] Contesting + support

m0blf at domsmith.co.uk m0blf at domsmith.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 15:59:41 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Interesting thread, and as Don has mentioned WWYC, I thought now
would be a good opportunity to add my 2p, as one of the younger
generation...

Although I don't have any statistics to back this up, I think
contesting is a growth area among young amateurs, who are
attracted by the competitive nature of the events and the fact
that it is less time-consuming than other branches of the hobby.
(One can choose to give up a handful of weekends a year, and make
many hundreds or thousands of QSOs in that time, rather than
spending whole evenings on ragchewing or trying to break a DX
pile-up).  The efficient operating style involved is also
something where 'self-training' is still key in these days of
black box radios, and which can also be a useful skill in the
wider world (everything from accurate message handling to the
ability to type one thing while listening to another!).

I think, however, that this thread has raised a couple of issues
which it is worth dwelling on:

Firstly, that the current licensing system (which I generally see
as positive) probably requires us to be mentors as much as
instructors. I know that in the courses I have been involved in
running, we have in the past been content to get the candidates
their licences and then leave them to it. I have recently become
more concerned that we need to be following the tuition up and
developing a system more akin to the US 'elmers'.  Through this,
we can start looking at encouraging newly-licensed M6s and 2Es
into contesting.

Linked to this, we need to be able to provide the opportunities
for new licensees in general, and youngsters in particular, to
start contesting. G6PZ deserves a mention for the excellent work
he has done in opening up his shack to many young contesters in
the UK (am I the only one who hasn't operated from there at some
point?!)  I have also said on this list before that at G6UW/M4A,
we take the view that our score even in the biggest contests (CQ
WW etc.) is often a secondary concern to getting newly-licensed
students into the shack for the contest.  This is partly why the
UBN I received today reveals a large penalty for violations of
the M/S band-change rule!

In summary, I am sure that the enthusiasm is there. Yes, a
thorough 'how-to' article in RadCom could certainly help (My
first ever contest was the 1999 REF Union contest, which I was
inspired to do following an article in the now-defunct DIY Radio
magazine, the RSGB's magazine specifically designed for the
Novice licence. I needed that encouragement because when I started
the hobby, I too was influenced by local anti-contest opinions
which others have mentioned.) Beyond that, however, we need
contest stations to actively encourage new blood and regularly
advertise for new operators. In the last month alone, two young
amateurs have asked me if I knew of a place where they could
contest from, and I was sorry not to be able to give them
appropriate pointers.

Sorry for the long message, 73,

Dominic M0BLF