[UK-CONTEST] RTTY Contests

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 07:18:25 EDT 2008

Hi.

  Following on from the postings, newcomers to contesting can try their hands at RTTY contesting. You will probably need a little help setting up but once done, RTTY is by far the easiest mode to use. Using N1MM logging and the MMTTY engine, you can eat lunch and operate at the same time with ease.  BARTG run several contests a year and they have rookie entry sections, plus have introduced a 6 hour slot, which is great.
  I think the 48 hour marathons discourage the individual. They are fine for already established contest groups, but far too long for one person to enter other than to just have a bit of fun to increase country scores or band slots.

  The G3 brigade did do it the hard way back in the 60's I guess, but we set up a local group here using GB4ANT and six of us used to take our complete stations, including linears to Rackheath, where Owen, G3JOC used to run the Mosley antenna manufacturing from. We used to have visiting amateurs operate there as well. We had enormous fun, all paper logs too, and we won quite a lot from there in the multi-multi category of CQWW and the like. We were even honoured to have Chip Margelli from USAF Mildenhall operate there too. He featured on the Jay Leno show in the USA showing how CW can beat texting. That video is still available if you want a copy!

  That sort of thing requires a huge amount of enthusiasm and dedication from a bunch of people. I think the youngsters have to hang in there and be like a dog with a bone, don't be discouraged by the FEW bigots that are about. You can be an A-1-OP or an FOC OP too.

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.