[UK-CONTEST] Vanity Calls

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Sun Jul 27 13:24:52 EDT 2008

Quoting David Barber:

> Why, when for years, we had perfectly good systems for call signs and
> special event call signs did we /do we need to complicate matters?

The systems are not working very well, and (in my view) could be improved
greatly with a little flexibility from Ofcom.  For example, it's not
possible to discern from a GB call which UK "country" a station is in.

> Why when we frequently hear the RSGB complaining about challenged
> resources are they wasting time on this?

I don't think the RSGB is wasting time -- it is a matter of interest to many
of us, particularly contesters.  And given that the principle of Vanity
Calls was agreed around seven years ago (then shelved because the issuing
computer couldn't deal with it), I consider it reasonable to persist in
trying to get Ofcom to agree with the RSGB's modest scheme, now that the
computer is quite capable of handling things.

> OFCOM too have limited resources.  Would we rather they and the RSGB
> looked at Vanity Calls or were more proactive against interference?  I
> know which
> I would choose.
> Until far more important issues such as band retention, RF pollution and
> the control of abusive and unlicensed operations is addressed the answer
> should be NO.

It's not an either/or thing.  And if it were, I'm sure the RSGB Board would
drop the Callsign issue immediately.

> Please feel free to hurl abuse.

My experience is that this reflector rarely has problems with abuse.
Sometimes people express strong opinions, but (as GM4FDM points out), the
hobby is something we do in our spare time for pleasure: we can discuss
matters calmly, and (perhaps) agree to disagree.

Quoting John, G0GDU:

>RSGB contest rule 7 states that UK stations may not
>use special (eg GB, GX) callsigns, will any IOTA entry be
>allowed from GS8R as this is clearly not a normal station
>call nor a special contest call.

The General Rules do not apply to the IOTA Contest.  It is clearly open to
the Contest Committee to specify which calls are valid in events which they
sponsor.

>difficult to understand why the RSGB have for the last two
>years used GB7HQ in respect of a contest operation, especially
>when the GB7 series of calls are supposedly reserved for
>Data Communications (Node and Mailbox) applications

My view would be that Special Event stations should use callsigns which
indicates the UK "country" they are in, such as G55HQ, GM73ABC, etc., but
the GBnHQ series has some history behind it.  It's unlikely that anyone
would, however, think that GB7HQ is a data communications node, but I could
be wrong!

>All callsigns are owned by OfCom ...... It would seem that
>we are getting to a stage where operators think they should
>be able to choose and use any callsign for whatever purpose they want.

Not really.  Ofcom is responsible for allocating callsigns to us on the
basis of reasonable rules which are capable of change.  If the RSGB can make
a good case for the sensible use of an unused resource (all the personalised
and Special Event callsigns which could be issued and will never otherwise
be used), there is no reason the rules should not be changed.  Given that
the RSGB Board is quite close to achieving this modest goal, I will
definitely be supporting them.

73,

Ed, GW3SQX