[UK-CONTEST] Mast Earthing

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 1 15:23:32 EDT 2008

John,

I think that earthing the base of the mast is essential, if the mast were to
suffer a lightning strike there's a risk that the high current tracking
through the concrete could cause it to shatter (I'm assuming that the base
is not just planted in the ground). The fact that the sections aren't in
good electrical contact doesn't make any difference, there's also the
benefit that most of the current will find it's way directly to ground via
the mast and not your radios but you still want everything disconnected
during a storm.
I doubt that you will ever see a commercial mast where the base is not
grounded (apart from those where thieves have stolen the earth straps)

73...

Ken

G3LVP

--