[UK-CONTEST] NFD Report GM4BRN/p

Alex GM3ZBE alex at gm3zbe.plus.com
Wed Jun 11 03:04:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

KARS is a New club - this was our first NFD!  Had some severe rfi problems
with the

PC despite the fact that the entire station, Antenna, FT1000D and PC had

all been assembled and test previously at GM3ZBE's qth!

During that test our main matching unit couldn't quite handle topband so we
took a 160m

only unit as well.  On the day the situation was reversed, the topband

unit didn't work and the main one matched 160M beautifully!

We were unable to resolve the rfi on the PC and had to resort to a laptop.
It didn't have

Logging or Winkey software, so we had to download and install them both.

We eventually got going although with no CAT, which means we failed to log

band changes several times.  That will cost us a lot of points!

Right, that's it you might think? Well NO! - The operating table then
collapsed

leaving the op hanging on to the FT1000D to save it crashing to the floor.

Our resident woodworking expert built another table from wood to hand,

Things then went great from there to the end of the contest - we must have

lost several hours either not operating or limping along with 10W.

Talk about a baptism of fire! Did we enjoy it? - yes we did, there must be

something wrong with us!!

Alex GM3ZBE

(Kingdom Amateur Radio Society)