[UK-CONTEST] Planning for a tower

Ken Chandler g0orh at sky.com
Thu Jun 19 04:03:25 EDT 2008

Thinking of planning for a tower!

Got my planning some time ago for a p60 versatower. I got my local
councillor along right at the start. He was so impressed he stayed for 6hrs
listening to ham radio, it turned out he was an ex TV engineer.
I approached all my neighbours with my plan. As it turned out most were
happy that I got them involved and asked them their views etc. There were a
few who were happy with everything, and a few who asked if when it's not in
use could it be wound down. This I put in my letter from each neighbour and
sent with my planning application to council, explaining that when I was not
operating, It would be wound down. Everyone was then very happy. I had 12
residents to deal with and got all on my side.
Of course being radio op's we are always on air yaking to someone so the
tower stays up unless a big storm hits us then I wind it down.
So, No1, get the neighbours on your side, invite them around for a BBQ, etc.
Visit each neighbour with your plan, and get them to sign a letter! be
prepared to do some compromising. mine was easy, I planned it, did my home
work.
Good luck.

ken..G0ORH

PS.. If anyone who is thinking of putting in an application wants a copy of
my old letter to planning I'll scan it and email it to them if you think it
may be of benefit. You may want to just re-word though!