[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW -- GW7X

Ed -- G3SQX-GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Wed Mar 5 09:42:33 EST 2008

Rather late, but here's a report on the ARRL CW contest.

CALL: GW7X
OPERATOR: GW3SQX

CATEGORY: SINGLE-OP 20M HIGH
QTH: Llanvaches, Mon

 Band  QSOs  Mults
-------------------
  160:      0         0
   80:       0         0
   40:       0         0
   20:    806      55
   15:       0         0
   10:       0         0
-------------------
Total:  806        55

Total Score = 130515

Comments:

I decided to do a single band effort on 20m.  Conditions were not too bad on
the whole, but (obviously) nothing like we might expect as the solar cycle
progresses.  There were some good runs, and a couple of frequency fights (I
can't believe that stations 1000km SE are unable to hear me, when they
are S9+ here).  And keys clicks are worse than ever -- a continuing problem.

It was interesting to note that early transatlantic stations started
appearing around 1030 on Saturday and 1100 on Sunday, and it wasn't only the
usual suspects!  The band closed earlier on the Sunday, or was it perhaps
that I had worked everybody already?  Anyway, good fun, and (by and  large)
the people being worked are competent operators.  There are always a few S0
level replies, which, I suppose, adds to the challenge!