[UK-CONTEST] Wires over trees

Nigel nubsey at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 5 18:28:28 EST 2008

I also use trees as supports. I fire a fishing line over with a catapult.
(Fishermans maggapult). Make sure that there is enough weight to pull the
line over a branch and back down to ground. I normally use a large wheel nut
from a car.
 once you have fired do not try to stop or control the flight. Let it go
till it clears the branch or what ever and hits the ground.
 I have found that trying to stop it in mid flight normaly causes the line
to get tangled in the tree, but if you let it go all the way, all is ok.
 I then cut the weight from the line, and if ok will tie some string to it,
and reel it back. If not I cut the line and reel back, without the weight.
If you leave the weight on it will get tangled in the tree, because of the
pendulem effect.
 Once all is ok and i have a halyard in place, I haul up the wire through a
insuator which is secured to the halyard via a length of bungee cord. This
keeps the wire taut, but allows for any swaying of the trees.
 I normally use four trees to haul up an 80 metre loop.
 Hope this helps. NIgel G0VDZ