[UK-CONTEST] CC 80M LP SIGNALS IN ZL

Brian Miller brianmiller at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 11 06:22:31 EDT 2008

Hi all

Sorry I could not be active in the ZL team this year. In recent years I have
operated from ZL6QH but the station is now QRX due to the antenna farm
having being dismantled to  make way for a major wind farm project. I did
not bother trying to operate from the home QTH - it is located on a hillside
which effectively blocks the short path to UK and I am also deafened by
severe power line QRN (often S9 on 80M).

Anyhow, the good news is that the QRN dropped somewhat on Sunday evening to
give me a chance to hear the action on the low bands for a few minutes. I
noted the following signal strengths on 80M at about 0610z, as measured with
an FT1000MP MKV Field radio and inverted vee dipole with the centre 15
metres above ground:

G3BJ S8
G4BUO S8
VQ5XF S6
G3WPH S7
G3SVL S5
GM0GAV S8
G4TSH S9 (loudest)
GW3NJW S5

These are excellent signals considering that the long path normally peaks
around 0630z, so I get the impression that the 80M long path was in very
good shape this year.

This is one of my favourite contests on the calendar, so I do hope to be in
a better position to participate next year.

73

Brian ZL1AZE