[UK-CONTEST] Antenna Cables underground

John Wayman g4drs at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 30 12:08:27 EDT 2008

I want to replace all my co-ax runs and my rotator cable, but I want to run them underground, in a pipe.
I would like to be able to pull through additional runs as and when they become necessary. There will be 3 or 4 runs of co-ax and one of rotator cable, plus one to operate the remote antenna switch, to start with.
In your experience, what is the best way to achieve this?
What type of pipe is best, bearing in mind the last thing I want is for a PL259 to get jammed in a join halfway between shack and antenna?
How are the ends of the pipe best done? Straight up with a U bend on top, or into a suitable enclosure on the wall of the shack and the base of the mast, or some other way?
Is it best to run cables up guys to the top of telescopic masts, or should I run them all the way up from the bottom? If the latter, how is the loop best dealt with when the mast is retracted?
When laying the pipe, how does one get the rope, to be used for pulling the cables, all the way from one end to the other to start with?

Any other nuggets of advice born out of experience will be gratefully received - I only want to do this once!

Cheers,

John, G4DRS