[UK-CONTEST] Prediction on Skimmer

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Sun May 4 05:01:04 EDT 2008

Aren't we all crystal ball gazing ?  Surely you too are making
assumptions, which with the passage of time may also prove to be less
than entirely accurate ?

I am a CW operator man & boy.  CW is one of the great loves of my life.
Skimmer is very close to the top of my list of things, which were it
possible, I would cause to be uninvented.  Alas technology facilitates
all manner of invention.  All, that is, except the coveted uninvent
option.  Consequently, the world is burdened with a legacy of appalling
WMD and contesting suffers the existence of Cluster and now Skimmer.

I think attempts to ban skimmer are doomed to failure and anyway are not
desirable.  Were contest organisers to ban the technology altogether
there would be two highly undesirable effects.

1.  The unscrupulous would use Skimmer anyway and those with scruples
would be disadvantaged.  The unscrupulous already have too big an advantage.

2.  Contesting should be open to all, with provision to enjoy it fairly
and in a way which suits the individual.  Would be contesters might be
persuaded to engage this aspect of our great hobby with the support
Skimmer can provide.  IMO that would good, whereas working to exclude
such budding contesters would not.

IMO the SOAB category represents the greatest test of operator skill.  I
believe steps should be taken to ensure this continues to be the case.
To that end, I believe you would be better off with a petition which
focuses on the exclusion of Skimmer from deployment in any single
operator Unassisted category.  In the absence of such a petition, I
encourage all interested parties to lobby contest organisers directly.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN