[UK-CONTEST] Increasing VHF contest participation by newbies

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 21:27:20 EST 2008

On Thu, 20/11/08, Peter Bowyer G4MJS, ex-VHFCC Member and Chairman of the UKSMG wrote:

> There are, and have been for many years, certificates for the leading
> foundation and intermediate entrants in each section of every event.

GM4CXM wrote:

Well blow me down, that will really capture the imagination and interest of tomorrow's potential full licence holders, contesters and experimenters!

G4MJS wrote:
> I wonder, have you read the rules you're campaigning against?

GM4CXM wrote
No I hadn't as nobody was "campaigning" against any contest rules but debating moves Austria has taken and how similar would benefit the UK.
Adrian suggested how rules in contests would be an area worth attention to encourage greater participation by foundation and intermediate licensees and I agree with the valid points he has made.
Should you as an ex-VHFCC member and UKSMG Chairman now prefer to turn the screw on a debate here and turn it into a campaign against rules then that's your choice. Just for you I'll take some extra time out and research some information to assist you.

Here we go Peter!

For the sake of clarity:
A = Advanced
I = Intermediate
F = Foundation

2007 VHF Contest entrants.

144MHz AFS
Open Section
A=7
I=1
F=0

S/F
A=39
I=3
F=0

144 MHz CW
24 Hour
A=6
I=1
F=0

6 Hour
A=8
I=0
F=0

Oct 432MHz+
Open
A=7
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=10
I=0
F=0

1.3GHz
Open
A=5
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=9
I=0
F=0

1.3GHz Trophy
Open
A=3
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=9
I=0
F=0

50MHz
Open
A=6
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=5
I=0
F=0

Christmas Cumulatives
50 MHz S/F
A=13
I=0
F=2

70 MHz S/F
A=6
I=0
F=2

144 MHz S/F
A=18
I=2
F=2

432 MHz S/F
A=13
I=1
F=2

70 MHz Trophy
A=17
I=0
F=0

144 MHz Trophy
Open
A=13
I=0
F=0

S/O
A=2
I=1
F=0

6 Hour Open
A=10
I=0
F=0

6S
A=13
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=14
I=1
F=0

144 MHz Backpackers Championship (5 Events)
A=51
I=1 (For just one of the events!)
F=0

2nd 70 MHz
A=6
I=0
F=0

144 MHz UKAC 2007 (12 Events)
A=108
I=12
F=10

The UKAC looks an improvement........but
7 of the M3's only operated in 1 event (including the certificate winner)
2 of the M3's operated in 2 events and one entered 3 events.

432 MHz UKAC
S/F
A=32 (not including PE1EWR)
I=3
F=4

Open
A=11
I=1
F=1

To quote Bob Edgar G0KYS
This year saw 53 different stations entering this series of contests. That's 56% up on 2006 and a massive 130% up on 2005.

but!

Whilst on paper that looks fantastic, pats on the back lads at an RSGB board meeting, everything is really rosy, carry on, no changes needed.......please consider this:

S/F
Of the 39 UK entries for the the 12 months of 2007, 13 entries amounted to a total of one months participation. 7 entries amounted to only 2 sessions and 5 entries amounted 3 activations. In other words, only 14 participants operated more than 4 of the 12 sessions so though at first glance Bob's percentage increases of participation look fantastic, the reality behind these figures are absolutely dire.

The above came in this months RadCom.
I thought I'd have a look how this year has faired!

2008

144 MHz UKAC (11 events so far)

A=158
I=18
F=7

Of the 7 Foundation entries, 5 have only entered one month this year, one has entered 3, and well done M3ZWW for entering all 11.
Of the Intermediate entries I have counted 3 who have entered for only one month, 5 for 2 months and 3 for 3 months.

432 MHz UKAC (11 events)
A=37
I=5
F=2

Of the 5 Intermediates, 3 have appeared for only one session, one for 4 and another for 6 with 10w and a vertical.
For the Foundation, 1 has appeared one month and the other for 4 sessions.

144 MHz Low Power
Open
A=5
I=0
F=0

S/F
A=13
I=1
F=1

1ST 50 MHz
A=23
I=1
F=0

2ND 50 MHz
A=14
I=0
F=0

I was going to look at the HF side but time has gone on with this research so I'll happily leave it to someone else.

Do I think there is a big problem?.......YES
Is it being addressed?...............NO
Are CC rules attracting newbies to contesting?.....NO
When can it be addressed?............the 2009 contest rules.

73 Ray GM4CXM
IO75TW GS