[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 71, Issue 31

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 04:35:57 EST 2008

Well, I'd very much like to say it helps - but in my experience, it
doesn't - a lot.
We advertised JOTA around 2 districts here and our Scout Group alone
has 160+ members.
We advertised in good time, which emails to all leaders and a flyer
and I gave a presentation to every section in our group (3 X Beavers,
2 x Cubs, 2 Scouts).

Apart from a couple of Explorers that we (Bracknell ARC) have put
through Foundation, and a few Hams, we had one Cub turn up - out of
what could have been 2000!

Even those that we do put through Foundation, find other pressures or
interests (school, football, the opposite sex!) and aren’t really
active. I sometimes think their parent push them into doing the course
- some certainly push them into staying in the Scout movement after
they reach ~ 11!
But at least we have sown a seed.

I wish I knew the answer, but it's not unfortunately simple.
I find it hard to compete with the Internet and mobile phones.
We all know why we partake of this hobby, but getting that across to
youngsters and adults alike is very difficult.

BTW - it was my random signature picker that selected the bottom
quote, not me. Perhaps computers are sentient?

73 de M0XDF
--
David Ferrington, Assistant Scout Leader
2nd Bracknell Scouts (visit http://www.2ndBracknell.co.uk)

--
Don't look forward to the day you stop suffering, because when it
comes you'll know you're dead. -Tennessee Williams