[UK-CONTEST] 21 28 MHz what a waste of a day

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Oct 5 15:39:46 EDT 2008

On 5 Oct 2008 at 20:17, Tony Roskilly wrote:

> Hi All,
> Why on Earth the RSGB continues with this farce at this time of the
> Solar Cycle I can't understand,  mogodon via radio.   With a barefoot
> rig and a doublet this year's contest was a total waste of time.
> Please can't RSGB organise a contest which takes into account the
> current and likely conditions over the next few years and allows those
> of us without large linears and beams to actually work stations rather
> than as I did have Radio 4 in one side of my headphones and the the 21
> MHz band in the other,  I quite like the Archers but didn't expect to be
> listening to it as the only copyable signal.     This is certainly no
> way to encourage new ops to participate in contesting. 73
>  Tony G3ZRJ FOC 1774 FISTS 7727

You have to remember of course that when this year's contest calendar
was written last autumn we should have by now been well on the upward
slope of the sunspots - rather than the current prolonged second
minimum. Apart from a few short looks I didn't waste much time myself
as I knew it would have been a washout - 2 QSOs here, with 9A3VM and
HA6PX so expect sporadic E was involved if nothing else. If there were
a QRP section I might even have won it....

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com