[UK-CONTEST] RSGB-Ofcom September meeting

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 24 16:46:15 EDT 2008

Well done Don and Colin. A good interim solution. These kind of things
don't move as fast as many would like, but certainly a lot faster and
more progressive than they used to 10 to 20 years ago!  Chris G3SJJ

don.field at gmail.com wrote:
Colin, G3PSM, may well respond, as he attended the meeting, but I
understand that vanity calls are still a no-no. Not sure why - a
resourcing issue at OFCOM perhaps? But as this is a contest reflector,
you may be more interested in the fact that OFCOM are now prepared to
issue Special Contest Calls to individuals as well as clubs. But to
avoid a rush to get vanity calls by the back door, so to speak, they
want the requests to be vetted to ensure that they are for bona fide use
by contesters. It looks as though we (the Contest Committee) will need
to work up some proposals as to what this might mean - we don't want to
make a huge amount of work for ourselves, but it might mean having
entered "x" contests in the past 12 months, or some such. The use of the
calls will almost certainly be as for the current SCCs - an application
on a similar form to the SCC, after which OFCOM will do a quick check
with us as to bona fides, then issued for use in contests that are on
the list (which can, if necessary, always be revisited and revised). We
will try to move this along as quickly as we can.