[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 70, Issue 23

Steve White g3zvw at talktalk.net
Sat Oct 25 14:50:12 EDT 2008

I would be very interested in using a short call (x#x) of my own in all
contests. It would not be to disguise who I am, but to make QSOs faster. An
SCC might not make anyone think I had been licensed for many years - it
might make them think I've been licensed for only a short time but wish to
conceal the fact by using an SCC. Who cares anyway? My thoughts are that
SCCs should only be available to those with Advanced licences, giving
Foundation and Intermediate licence holders yet another reason to study and
upgrade. As for people asking for repeats of the non-existent third suffix
letter, there are plenty of weird callsigns around these days, so I think
most people are used to callsigns which don't conform to the x#xxx standard.

If/when vanity calls are allowed (x#xx, xx#x or whatever), I shall have no
hesitation in applying for one of those as well. And I think vanity calls
should only be available to those with Advanced licences too.

As for high power limits for all, I think we can forget about that one.

Steve, G3ZVW