[UK-CONTEST] Vanity Calls again.

Tony Bettley tony.ldl at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 27 08:23:34 EDT 2008

I have to agree with Roger G3RBP/VE3ZI. I run only a modest HF contest
station and seem to have spent a lot of time during this weekends CQWW SSB
contest trying to get stations to understand LDL. They can usually get LD or
DL but can they get LDL!!! It seems not a lot of the time. And of course
when they go back with the "delta lima?" bit, the whole of Germany (well the
DLs) stamp on my signal. Near the end of the contest when tiredness was
creeping in I had several (dyslexic?) stations almost insisting I was G4DLD.
I suppose on reflection though LDL might be better than LLD or LDD under
weak SSB signal conditions.

I must confess though it rolls off quite nicely in cw.

I have kept my G8KWC callsign for various reasons to do with VHF and I
suppose I could use that but somehow on HF  - difficult to explain - that
wouldn't be me.

However a short snappy vanity call for contest use wouldn't go amiss I
reckon!

Tony G4?DL or G4LD? or G4DLD or even G4LDL.