[UK-CONTEST] 40m to USA long after sunrise

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 28 08:36:36 EDT 2008

This is getting a bit OT- contest but hopefully you might be interested.

Further to the below, I continued to listen to N8AA as he worked a
string of JA and UA0 stations most of whom were audible here. As the
clock ticked around to 11:15z his signal had audibly dropped, and by
11:30z he was down to 339. I expected this to continue, and indeed it
did reaching 229 between 11:35 and 11:40z. What I did not expect however
was that the signal would then climb significantly before local noon,
and by 11:50 he was back up to 559. This fall and rise was quite steady
and consistent, and whilst this could have been due a random variation
in propagation it didn't sound like that to this- not
inexperienced-observer.

During this period he was called and worked UA1, UA3, UA9, and OH but an
OZ who was obviously hearing him quite well did not get a reply. Clearly
in this situation the more Northerly latitudes were significantly
favoured, which tends to confirm a skew path in the polar region.

However a dip in signal about 20 minutes before local noon didn't seem
to make any sense to me. When I looked at the W8-JA path on a globe I
see that it runs well to the Pacific side of the North pole. What the
significance of this is I'm not sure, but I was then given to consider
that the polar region might be in virtually continuous sunshine at this
time of year, and perhaps the "early" peak in absorption might indicate
an effective refraction point somewhere on a line of longitude about 5
degrees East of this QTH ( 20 minutes is roughly equivalent to 5 degrees
of longitude I think?). More questions than answers, but I hope I'm not
alone in being fascinated by such phenomena.

Sadly by 11:55 the run of JA/UA0 seemed to dry up, or perhaps N8AA had
to QRT for work, but I didn't hear him again.

73

Clive
GW3NJW