[UK-CONTEST] Re Decline in VHF/UHF contest activity

Paul_group paul_group at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 13:19:25 EDT 2008

Tim Hague wrote:

> There is no need for me to go through what VHF operation was like in the
> early 70s, you really had to build your own gear, no repeaters and
> tuning low to high..., it took effort and
> considerable interest to get a decent station on the air, now there is
> no encouragement to try......

Late seventies for me and yes it was an effort, so what made that effort
worth while for me?

As a young newly licensed op I remember being so impressed by club talk
(we would call it mentoring now) of stations with more than one
antenna.. big valve amplifiers - stations who could regularly work DX on
2m.. I wanted that so badly, every penny I had and every ounce of effort
was being channelled into chasing VHF dx and the best time to work dx
was during contests.. 'twas obvious. Never once did anyone in our club
suggest that VHF was "just repeaters" and it wasn't.

But I also recall being happy to do VHF NFD and work maybe a hundred UK
qso's and one or two DL/PA/F stns from Northern England (YN28f) today I
would be disappointed with that.

It was also fun when our group made our _only_ none UK contest qso into
PA using cw by whistling into the microphone.. which broke up into
uncontrolled giggling at both ends of the circuit.. them was the days...

So why am I less inclined to be active today?

Well its not the mooted geographic disadvantage, there is a disadvantage
for those of us not on the east coast, its foolish to suggest otherwise,
but that hasn't changed and it doesn't really matter, sometimes you can
be lucky and get tropo that makes your points / km better. I really do
admire the GM's who regularly do VHF contests and sometimes only work a
hand full of qso's (I always point north for you guys!)

For me if there is no inter UK activity its hard to be motivated to be
on for the duration of the contest. Why is there less inter G working?

Lots of people have taken the easy option of 100W and a G5RV!

No one calls CQ any more 'cos most qso's are coordinated on the dreaded
chat room - they agree the frequency, aim the antennas, pop up and swap
details (sometimes) and go back to the chat to bask in the glory of
another successful dx qso!

well that's my take on it anyway....

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI