[UK-CONTEST] Comments to RSGB HFCC / Decline in 2m contest activity FAO SJJ

Adrian Rees rees.a at btconnect.com
Fri Sep 12 05:22:24 EDT 2008

Hi Chris
Thanks for the email response.
Of course you are quite correct, in as much as the fisrt Field Days were indeed meant to practice emergency communications in times of disaster, in the post "hot" war years of the early cold war. Indeed the War Department (before it was the MoD) used to fund the likes of the Royal Signals ARS, RAF ARS and RN ARS as it provided a ready pool of trained operators, and this was one of the reasons Amateur Licences were given out without examinations, to ex Service Radio Operators.

Thanks for the info regarding SR2O and SO2V. The method you describe, in using a second VFO, I use at the moment with my 756PII, although it isn't the easiest of things to do ! I am practicing ! I agree regarding the advances in technology, and the required investment in time to learn the techniques, and I can see the value in doing so.

Maybe the following structure is closer to what I was talking about:

For example SSB FD:

Open Section: As now

Restricted Section: As now

SOUA (Single Op un assisted): As restricted section, however, only one operator, no cluster, no SO2V or SR2V, max 18 hours operation.(Note: although only one operator, more than one person can assist in building the station, putting masts up etc).

SOUA2 As SOUA but only one person does everything.
The thing is, SOUA would attract the club who can only muster one or two operators to run for the whole contest, but does have a few extra pairs of hands. Furthermore its a simple station, and would , I think, attract the newcomers, as they could concentrate on the actual Radio skills.

The second Category, SOUA2, may well attract the VHF Backpacker entrant to HF contesting, as the station would be simple, and the challenge would be similar to the backpackers, which is very popular.My point regards cost, is that the newer entrants into the hobby, who we are trying to attract to contesting, would have more than likely gone out and bought a shack in a box type of rig, or bought older type kit. Which may not support SR2V working or be difficult and complex to set up for SO2V etc, which is beyond the operator.

This category is literally a transceiver and log book (paper or computer) aerial system and power supply.A "man pack" in effect.

I would also time limit the entrants, ie, If an entrant comes within the top 3 of a section for, say two years, they have to move up to a different section for at least two years.

My own opinion is that some of the categories and rules, in general, favour a style of operating that is complex and demanding to learn for beginners, or those using old kit, therefore considerably reducing the chances of winning. By creating sections that level the playing field, and promote single op entry with simple equiptment I think will foster and develop the skills and interest in contesting. After all, if you enter a competition, you generally want to win, or at least improve you score, year on year, and, we have to get people interested in the first place.

I shall now don my hard hat and fire suit, and await rescue !
73
Adrian MW1LCR