[UK-CONTEST] Contest cheats?

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 13 16:41:19 EDT 2008

I can't believe that anyone would think that making a contest QSO's as the
result of a 'sked' is within the spirit of contesting particularly when a
'chat room' is involved. As far as I'm concerned this is nothing short of
cheating. I thought the whole point of contesting was to test your operating
skills and equipment. It seems that some people must be lacking in the first
instance if they find it necessary to arrange skeds. There also seems to be
little doubt that there are those who run 1.5kW or more on 2m otherwise why
would amplifiers of this power rating be on sale in the UK? Someone must be
buying them. Looking on the Internet I see that one UK amateur is busy
building an amplifier capable of 10kW for 2m and even on 4m there is at
least one station using a pair of 4CX250B's,  I wouldn't be in the least
surprised if there weren't a few GS35's in use on 4m either.  I believe that
a few stations have high power permits for 2m & above but of course no one
ever admits to using more than 400W during contests, it's a pity that unlike
in the 'good old days' today's licensing authority no longer carries out
station inspections.

73

Ken

G3LVP