[UK-CONTEST] Contest cheats?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 15 15:05:34 EDT 2008

Peter

Could anyone doubt the correctness of what you say?

I have from time to time used ON4KST as a window on 6m conditions,
although frankly the whole experience leaves me with a nasty taste in my
mouth. I have seen with my own eyes DX QSOs ( usually MS/JT6)
effectively completed via talkback on KST, and "if I ruled the world"
these QSOs would be expunged. I have no real experience of it in
contests on VHF, but it must surely be the case that equivalent abuse
takes place?.

I have also used DX clusters on HF, in contests where they are not
specifically proscribed, although frankly I regard them as an
abhorrence. There is incontrovertible evidence via DQs in e.g. CQWW (
the tip of the iceberg?) that the facility is abused by stations who
should be in the single operator assisted category using the spots.
Sadly, certain HF contest sponsors effectively acknowledge that catching
the cheats is almost impossible, and therefore allow use of DX clusters
as the default entry category. Examples are WAEDC and the Russian
contest. Of course DARC claim that it is, rather, a valid use of
technology ( ja naturlich!).

Sadly we cannot un-invent the technology nor can we rewind personal
ethics to a former state. Perhaps this is a good thing? We must
therefore " consider our positions", and my own is that I no longer have
much interest in competing per se, and I regard contests largely as a
vehicle via which to practise the art of contesting which I have now
been doing for nigh on 50 years. Perhaps I'll  be good in another 50
years ;-)

73

Clive
GW3NJW