[UK-CONTEST] Entry levels in VHF Contests

Roger Dixon lists at irdixon.plus.com
Thu Sep 18 01:52:52 EDT 2008

Gentlemen
I have watched the debate about falling activity in VHF contests with
interest.  As most of you know, I have acted as the focus for all VHF
entries for the last two and a half years.  While it could be argued that
the total numbers of entries received does not not necessarily reflect the
activity levels in specific events, the number of entries has shown a very
healthy rise over the last two years.

The numbers below show the percentage rise in the monthly entries received
taking 2006 as the baseline:

Month                2006            2007            2008
January                0                 +41%          +47%
February              0                  +43%          +86%
March                  0                 +33%           +63%
April                    0                  +55%          +99%
May                    0                   +27%          +86%
June                    0                  +15%          +28%
July                     0                  +27%          +70%
August                0                   +5%           +32%
September           0                   +38%
October                0                   +16%
November            0                   +30%
December            0                   +65%

In pure number terms:
Entries January to August 2006        1244
Entries January to August 2007        1589
Entries January to August 2008        2000

While I'm sure this will encourage the statisticians amongst you to debate
this, I'm sure that you will all agree that there is a very encouraging
trend in these figures.

Roger - G4BVY
RSGB Contests Committee