[UK-CONTEST] RoPoCo

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Mon Apr 6 02:14:48 PDT 2009

Re: RoPoCo

Managed 65 QSOs here in "pyjama" mode (well, it is before my getting-up time
for Sundays!).  This was mostly running, in several places, and some S&P.
It's hard to know the right combination, and very tempting to give up
running and start searching, but if you know that most people are going to
get 40-70 QSOs, you can tolerate 3 minutes between QSOs -- even longer later
in the contest.  I used SD (normally I'm on Win-test), but managed to get
used to the non-standard keystrokes required.  Could do with a band-map,
though, to help in the skipping over obvious dupes in S&P.

All in all, this is an good way to spend 2 hours on a Sunday morning twice a
year.  However, my suggestion for  increasing interest, which I've made
before, is to introduce a couple of 2-hour phone versions of the contest.
Shock, horror!  Then have awards for top three contesters in the four events
aggregated (normalised, perhaps).  The format is fine, the duration perfect,
but the whole thing needs a shot in the arm, with some new people brought
in.

73,

Ed

P.S.  I had what appeared to be a Frequency Fight with Lionel, G5LP, about
90 minutes through, but it turned out not to be such.  I was calling CQ,
things were going slowly, and I was waiting a few seconds to see if any QRS
people would call.  Lionel came upon what seemed to be a clear frequency,
sent "?".  Hearing this, I assumed he had heard the end of my call, and sent
my call again, as one does if it seems that someone has heard a few dits at
the end of a CQ and wants to know if you're someone new.  Of course, he was
testing the frequency (i.e. abbreviated "QRL?"), but I then heard his call
and started to work him.  His call was the start of a CQ (he was a dupe),
which I found surprising -- he's usually very well-mannered!  We seemed to
part company on good terms, which is just as well, since there is plenty of
room for all in this contest on 80m, but it's interesting to note that this
sort of thing can happen with the best of intentions.