[UK-CONTEST] CC April CW TX Bandwidth

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 12:42:11 PDT 2009

Clive Whelan wrote:

>> There does seem to be some variability between individual rigs, but even
>> the best of them are clicky and the worst are downright horrible.
>
>Well myself and GW3RIH must have been very lucky in getting a couple of
>good 1000MPs then, because we lived 500 yards apart and both ran 400w,
>me using an Alpha 78 and Wes using a TL922, and we could operate within
>10kHz of each other on 14Mhz , without insurmountable problems
>problems. You don't suppose that could have been because we didn't
>overdrive the amplifiers do you? ;-)

No, the problem is definitely with the transceivers themselves.

However, if you were using your amplifiers at the 400W level, the
transceiver output power would have been only about 20-25W. That might
have helped to reduce the levels of key clicks, though it wouldn't have
been directly due to the reduction in power - more likely the effect it
might have had on the ALC dynamics.

Nobody has really got to the bottom of why it happens... least of all
Yaesu.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK