[UK-CONTEST] MM1M 2009 IOTA entry - on line log now available for viewing.

Colin Wilson colin at sheffield-live.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 12:37:26 PDT 2009

The SDXN ARC - MM1M entry to the IOTA this year took place from the Scottish
island of Arran EU-123 this was our 5th consecutive year on the island but
was the second contest this year for this new group. We were located in the
Seal shore camp site Kildonan on the most southern tip of the island
opposite the island of Pladda. WAB NS02.
Unfortunately we suffered with a few mast bending problems that resulted in
us having to re-think our antenna system for the contest.  On trying to
erect our TH3 we had two aluminum jointed masts break on us even after
reducing the overall height from about 40 foot down to 28 feet.  We did
however get the attention of the entire camp site who Im sure were taking
bets on whether we could get this odd bit of construction in the air! We
lost all bets and gave up the attempt.
Our alternative was a heavy duty 33 foot telescopic mast from spiderbeam
with tri-pod but this would not take a TH3 or at least we were not prepared
to try it!  We did however successfully manage to get a Super Antennas YP3
up at about 25 feet setup for 20m (no rotator) and dipoles for 40 and 80m.
The dipoles would double up for 15 and 10m which of course have not been
that good in recent years, just our luck.....this year had to be different!
What I would have done for a beam on 15 and 10m come Saturday afternoon!
Still we didn't do as well as last year but may have done as well as some of
our early years on the island without a second station to S&P.
We had taken precautions to guy the mast well as we had heard the WX
forecast for Saturday night/Sunday morning of a force 8 Gale from the South
which would hit us early evening on the Saturday, and it did.  With lashing
rain and extremely strong winds from the SE directly off the sea the mast
never trembled nor did any of the antenna's so we were lucky, I'm not so
sure the TH3 at 40feet would have got off without some damage being done!

Although the WX was no where near as nice as 2008 we all had a great time
and look forward to the next one!  Perhaps there should be some other IOTA
contests organised such as a VHF or CW only contest, what about a data modes
only IOTA contest?

The rig was the FT2000 and Expert 1K-FA amp. Wintest V4.01 was used for
logging with a few problems encountered with QSO's suddenly going missing
but this may have been the Dell Inspiron laptop or even the operator (me at
the time) at fault!

The MM1M log is now online at our website  www.sheffield-live.co.uk you can
search for your call thanks to the new online log from Ham Radio Deluxe.
Thanks to everyone for working us and we look forward to our next contest
entry in the September Field day as M0SDC/p.

73

Colin G3VCQ for MM1M.
P.S. please note that we are a new club and as yet do not have any QSL cards
printed for new calls so if your looking for a card from us please be
patient! Thanks.