[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 79, Issue 48

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 1 14:36:00 PDT 2009

  ------------------------------

>  Firstly, sorry to cross-post to both reflectors, but I am looking for
>  a quick reply !
>
>  My one and only neighbour has a problem, which I need to help him get
>  fixed. He has had, for some time, a TV distribution amplifier in his
>  loft, and I had to fit torroids to it to make it immune to HF. Now,
>  however the amplifier has gone unstable. We did some tests today, and
>  it is awful - to much gain = oscillation. To little = lousy picture.
>  He wants to replace it.
>
>  The question is, does anyone know whether there is a "good"
>  distribution amplifier which has reasonable high immunity to HF ? If
>  so, I'd really appreciate details, as it would be nice to start with
>  a reasonable level of immunity.
>
>  73
>
>  Don, G3BJ

Don,

You don't realize how lucky you are Don! One of my (many) neighbours had
a distribution amp fitted, this feeds the 2nd & 3rd TV's from the sky box.
Since the 2nd & 3rd TV's aren't used that often it was a little while
before it was discovered that as well as the TV signals this unit is
overloaded by my 2m signal (& probably when I'm on other bands as well).
After the amp was installed the loft was fully insulated with about a
foot depth of fibreglass insulation. The amp is on the far side of the
loft almost 30 ft from the loft hatch and as the property has a very low
pitch roof the only way of getting the the amp would be to crawl through
the insulation, no one is prepared to do that.
I demonstrated that a video sender would do the job just as well and as
expected these units appear to be TVI proof. This solution would
probably have cost a lot less than having the amp & cables fitted.
Perhaps a video sender driven by a cheap digi box would provide the
solution to your problem.

73...

Ken

G3LVP