[UK-CONTEST] 80m cc

Roger G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 13 05:57:12 PDT 2009

Dear UK-Contest,
The Three A's Contest Group was founded by G3SXW, G3TXF and G3WVG many years
ago when the G0 call-sign block was allocated. We secured G0AAA as our club
call-sign. None of the many local radio clubs suited us: we were primarily
keen contesters after all.

Now let's look overseas: there are many "DX" and "Contest" clubs, many of
which do not have a local focus or have a broad geographic spread. What's
wrong with that? A gathering of like minds is more likely to prosper than
joining a group whose interests lay elsewhere, e.g. tea & biscuits,
re-living the old times, VHF/UHF, DF, junk-sales etc. I wish such clubs
every success, but mostly they are not for me. With modern comms (internet)
we no longer need to get the bus to our local club to meet fellow hams.

Has G0AAA contributed to the health of contesting down the years? I think we
could claim so, both nationally and internationally. So, I suggest that the
concept of restricting club contests to the traditional local radio club is
outdated. PS: maybe 'Flying Pigs' is another example (including a prominent
member of RSGB HFCC), Brimham, Ga-Ga and others . . . . good luck to them
all. They/we add considerably to HF contesting activity, which is surely the
number one objective and is well within the 'spirit of the contest'.

73 de Roger/G3SXW.