[UK-CONTEST] UK/US licensing (Off Topic)

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 21 14:41:05 PDT 2009

  I don't know about it taking more than 18 days to respond to an email
but don't
forget that anyone sitting the old C&G RAE in December only just
received the
results of that exam in time to enrol for the following may exam if they
hadn't passed
first time & needed to resit.. That in my mind was one of its failings,
another
was that there were only the two opportunities to take the RAE each year.

I seem to remember that there were quite a few early G3's who has served in
various communications roles in the armed services during WW2 who were
given
exemption from the RAE (& Morse test although some apparently knew no
Morse whilst
others could do 35 wpm on a straight key!). I think that this sort of
exemption should be
granted today to anyone who is already qualified to an equivalent or
higher standard for example
ex marine radio officers or the services equivalents and of course
foreign amateurs although
perhaps an exam on UK rules & regs. might be in order.

73

Ken

G3LVP