[UK-CONTEST] Off Topic (Licensing)

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 28 15:21:23 PDT 2009

There was a precedent for a fast track route to the amateur licence.
Admittedly it was a long time ago but I believe that after WW2 anyone
who had been in the services in a communications role was granted an
amateur licence without taking the exam or Morse test, perhaps there’s
an early G3... around who could confirm this.

I view the licensing issue from the perspective of having passed the old
(written) RAE when I was 14 and many years later (in the 1980’s) as an
RAE instructor. This leads me to believe that the RAE either in written
or multi-choice format was never difficult to pass. In the 1960’s (and
later) many schoolboys passed the exam before even taking their GCE's.
As an RAE instructor I found that a very high percentage of students
from a wide range of backgrounds, abilities & age were able to pass the
RAE at the first attempt (I should point out that even then and to my
surprise very few prospective amateurs were following the SWL route).

What then was wrong with the C&G RAE ? I think that the C&G process was
incredibly slow especially for a multi-choice exam which could almost
have been marked on the spot. From memory enrolment for the May exam was
in February and the result wouldn’t be received until August. Missing
the enrolment deadline meant waiting until December for the next exam
with a further wait for the result.
I can imagine that today many people would lose interest at this point
especially when paying around over £50 (?) for the privilege.

The present scheme does appear to make up for some of the deficiencies
of the C&G. I believe that in some areas it’s almost possible to take
the exam on demand with a quick result. Parts of the practical element
are might be useful but being able to demonstrate soldering and fitting
a plug is probably of less use to most amateurs today than the
(unfortunately) defunct Morse test. However it’s still necessary to take
three exams to get the full licence & I’m told that this costs more than
taking the old single RAE and in some places I understand that it's
difficult to find anywhere to sit the advanced exam.

I too fail to see where ‘incentive’ comes into the scheme when the only
difference between the three classes is the power level. Many M3-6 &2E’s
seem to be using 100W transceivers ‘turned down’ to 10 or 50 W. At the
very least there should still have been some restriction on the
frequencies available to M3-6’s /2E’s.

How successful have the Foundation/Novice schemes been? I’ve not seen
any figures for examination passes for many years. One thing is certain
there are few M3-6/2E’s active on VHF at least around here and the
general level of activity on these bands is far less than when the Class
B VHF licence existed, remember use or lose? If contest entries are any
measure of activity both HF & VHF contests show very little activity by
M3-6’s/2E’s.

I believe that one objective of the foundation licence was to bring
youngsters into the hobby, perhaps someone has some statistics to see
how successful this has been. The impression that I have today is that
most new licensees are approaching retirement age, perhaps it’s this
group which we should be encouraging. It’s not surprising given that the
youngsters who in the past might have been interested in amateur radio
now have their mobile phones, PC’s etc. are all very much occupied with
their school work show no interest in the hobby.

One final thought, when I was first licensed there were around 6,000 G
licences, now I believe the number is 60,000 therefore should we worry
about the number of new people coming into the hobby although I can see
that this might concern the Amateur Radio Dept. of RSGB PLC.

73...

Ken

G3LVP