[UK-CONTEST] Off Topic (Licensing) - another route

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 02:49:34 PDT 2009

I seem to remember that holders of a PMG certificate (as commercial ship
wireless operators were required to have) could get out of the whole
deal, because that was one of the options I considered at the time
(mid-50's).  In the end, the local RNV(W)R station in Southend came up
trumps.  This organisation paid volunteers to qualify as a RN
telegraphist through attendance on Tuesday evenings, when you were
taught morse and learned how to operate and maintain the station
equipment.  As soon as the CPO was satisfied that 12wpm had been
achieved, a loan CR100 (with CO/PA transmitter in the lid) was made
available, allowing participation in the local Weds evening on-air
exercise from home and access to the "common" channel (5320kc/s).   An
official naval shore station callsign was issued.   Those with space for
a reasonable wire antenna could then chat nationwide at weekends, as
long as proper naval operating procedure was observed.  With only a
single channel available, one had to wait one's turn.  Outboard 807 PAs
were not unknown.

Several of us from school took advantage of this deal, the other main
attraction being an annual all found fortnight in Devonport to play with
real radios and get involved in sufficient square bashing to compete
with the Army reservists on Remembrance Day.   Her Majesty has
regretfully drawn the naval purse strings a little tighter since those
days . . .

73, Peter G3LET

g3ory at lineone.net wrote:

>Ken,
>
>My recollection is that things were a bit tighter than you indicate.
>Certain service trades (example: Foreman of Signals in Royal Signals
>(quite an advanced technician position, usually S/Sgt rank)) qualified
>for a bye as far as the RAE was concerned. Some operating trades
>qualified for a bye for the CW. I believe that few (if any) trades had
>both the technical plus the operating skills to be given a licence
>without either a morse test or an RAE pass.
>
>73 Bob
>G3ORY

Peter Hobbs
Business Area Manager, Communications
Drumgrange Ltd.

Tel: +44 (1932) 581113
Fax: +44 (1932) 569646
email: phobbs at drumgrange.co.uk <mailto:phobbs at drumgrange.co.uk>
www.drumgrange.com <http://www.drumgrange.com>

HQ Office:
The Forum
Hanworth Lane
Surrey  KT16 9JX
United Kingdom

Home Office:
Tel: +44 (1444) 400750
email: peter at tilgate.co.uk <mailto:peter at tilgate.co.uk>

This message has been sent from my Home Office.  It has been scanned
using the latest available Virus Database.  However, as new viruses may
appear at any time, Drumgrange Ltd. does not accept responsibility for
any that may remain.