[UK-CONTEST] Morse dyslexia

Gerry Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Sat Dec 5 16:28:27 PST 2009

Andrew wrote:
> On 05/12/09 14:25, Bernie McIntosh (GM4WZG) wrote:
>
>> I reckon that if your call ends with the same letter that it begins
>> with, it really throws people. If I'm repeating my call I am very, very
>> particul;ar about spacing because of this but it doesn't seem to help
>> much even leaving three times the official word space..  During IOTA I
>> activated an island abroad using my own call with a prefix and /p.  I
>> had a callsign of 10 characters with two numeric digits and two './'
>> symbols.  . Believe it or not,  I found that I had fewer misreads than
>> usual.
>>
>> Incidently, the same problem seems to exist on SSB too. Anyone else
>> notice the same thing ?
>>

> Bernie,
>
> Absolutely, it used to happen me all the time when I lived in the
> UK..... lots of people dropped the last letter in my call because it was
> the same as the first and came back to me as GI0NW.  Now, here in the
> US, I have the pleasure of having a call that ends in two dots to get
> messed up :)

Only send your call twice if it's really necessary.  Even if they need a
fill, that can be easier than a confusing double send first time around.

And you'd be surprised how many times once is enough.  You'd be
surprised how many times they get it right first time.  It always seems
to be the b******s who I get the call right from first time who send it
twice!

Not that I have the right be telling one of the few people who has got
in the world Top 10 from Eu anything...

73

Gerry GI0RTN