[UK-CONTEST] Death to the cluster!

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 09:03:15 PST 2009

Hi Ken,

I'm afraid you are right, although death is a bit strong. There are various
reasons for spotting in contests, helping your mates, boosting your ego,
genuinely feeling you are helping a station get more contacts. It's a double
edged sword, helps some, disadvantages others. I have never asked a station
to spot me, but have been asked to spot others, seldom in contests however,
and, as far as I can remember by a UK station. Contests should be about
operating skill, and everything should be done via the radio. Calling CQ
announces you are active, whether people find you is up to them, or you
using your knowledge to find them.

The cluster and 'KST are great, but not in contests, no need.

73

Bob G8HGN