[UK-CONTEST] Fw: Death to the cluster!

Roger G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 10 14:06:59 PST 2009

Hello Dave (& David),
I like your idea of false spots. Good thinking, Batman!

I only know about CQWW. They have algorithms to automatically check the
proportion of QSOs that are made within n minutes of a cluster spot
appearing. I don't know the numbers, but we can imagine that sometimes you
happen upon (with the big knob) a station within those n minutes anyway, so
the 'hit' rate (norm) might be about eg 10%. When the analysis shows 60% you
know you have a rogue, outside the statistically expected norm (Bell shaped
curve). As with any aspect of checking 5-6,000 logs there's only so much you
can do so this analysis usually happens with the Top Scores. If you are
258th in your category and want to cheat then good luck to you! Perhaps you
need a psychiatrist more than a CQWW log-checker!
73 de Roger/G3SXW.