[UK-CONTEST] SSB CC

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 15:50:07 EST 2009

> Does anyone have an explanation of last nights 80m CC conditions. From
this
> area (Norwich) the band was just mushy noise with a few signals, mainly
> continental and a few G's. More noticeably the few G's heard could hardly
> hear me, as if one way paths existed, and despite this some were still
> exchanging relatively high numbers. It would be interesting to see some
> analysis of this phenomena as to whether it was propagation, antennae etc.
> All stations in our group did poorly despite running decent rigs and full
> size dipoles. Such conditions hardly seem to reflect text book theory.
>
> Malcolm G3PDH

I only came on for a short S&P session between 2038 & 21 to give a few
points away and worked 21 during that time, I didn't even bother to put the
linear on. The only station that I was unable to work was Ray 'HRH who was
unable to hear my 100W, perhaps there's some truth in the one way
propagation theory.

Is there really more activity in the SE? There used to be more amateurs
there than in the rest of the country but I think that's no longer the case.
When it comes to London there now appears to be a much lower number of
amateurs per head of population then in the rest of the country.

It would be interesting to plot where the activity is, perhaps we should
stop sending meaningless 5&9(9) reports for every QSO in contests and send
instead the locator square, I know that it would slow things up a bit but at
least the exchange would have more value than the present exchange of
'reports'. (Yes I know it's all in QRZ.com if I could be bothered)

In the heat of the moment during SSB AFS I gave my locator to one station,
he sounded a bit surprised! (apologies if he read this)

73...

Ken

G3LVP

--