[UK-CONTEST] propagation SSB CC

Steve Jones steve at rjtraining.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 17:59:34 EST 2009

No problem Peter - easily done

As TXF and Stewart ETF have commented its strange how stations relatively
close can experience quite different results with similar power and antenna
set up. May Stewart's increased closeness to the Snowdonia mountains
combined with angle of radiation (more low and long than high and short
compared to AFS?)

I used the 80m inverted V again at about 50ft and in same orientation as in
afs (seems better than in previous years so I am not moving it now I have
found the sweet spot!).

I ran the whole contest and appart from the first four minutes was kept
fairly busy. I switched in the second rx with wider filter and full size
160m dipole inverted V on second tower in bottom (wetter field) for some
diversity reception when I was struggling with qrm or qsb on weaker
signals - tiring to listen to but it did help me pick up the missing letters
or reports so it worked. Had a few lower power M3 stations call in and
pulled them out no problem so I guess I worked all who called appart from
one G and one F station who I lost due to heavy splatter.

Enjoyed the sport, after a **** day at work :-)

73

Steve GW0GEI