[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC Results

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Wed Feb 11 13:24:16 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

After I received Dave's mesage (below) I looked at the ssb scores and
the soapbox comments. The overwhelming theme was of course the dire
propagation.  In the ssb session I had a fleeting QSO with Dave and
mentioned the awful conditions and he told me the January sessions were
to accommodate the GMs to 'level the playing field' a bit. I
subsequently gathered that the Contest Committee had received a lot of
requests from GMs for this change.

I thought I would look at the facts that are available.  The
population of Scotland is about 5.1 million or about 8.5% of the UK
population and my expectation was that there would be at least this
proportion of GMs in the entries and maybe as much as 50% more than
this. Gifted with the modification of the rules as a result of their
requests to the CC, I expected the GMs would embrace this with
enthusiasm reflected in their participation.  I counted the number of
GMs in the results of the January sessions and got the following
results:

CW   11/172,    SSB   7/207,   Data 4/108   Total for the month
22/487 which is 4.5% of the total

The Club of which I am a member (DMUARS) had a total of 25 individual
entries in January compared to 22 for the whole of Scotland and I am
sure the figures for Newbury and Bristol must be less flattering than
this.

February has not got off to a good start either since there were 6 GM
entries on the list posted by the new Robot out of 229 in total i.e.,
2.6%
Ironically the best GM turnout in January was for the CW leg when
there was reasonable inter G propagation and the GMs did not have a
propagation advantage over the rest of us further south.

It must be disappointing for the Contest Committee to see such a low
level of support from GM after the rules have been changed to give them
a boost.

OK, tin hat on......

73 Bob
G3ORY