[UK-CONTEST] OT: Any Hustler 6BTV Experts in here?

Tom Wylie t.wylie at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 20 05:26:29 EST 2009

Hi Les

I was trying to ascertain if I could take the top - 80m section off to
see if the antenna would resonate on 40m and then take the next trap off
etc etc to see if I have a faulty trap, but my experiment came unstuck
at the first effort.    Hustler USA says each section should resonate
independently remembering to re-resonate it after adding another
section.   So I have started from the bottom.   The antenna resonates
nicely on 10m with just the 10m trap fitted, but on increasing the power
above 100 watts something is breaking down.   The antenna is only 2
years old and is not a permanent structure only used during the winter
months.   Externally it looks brand new..

I have replaced the coax with NEW to no avail, and I placed a dummy load
at the antenna end of the coax - SWR 1:1 so I am happy the coax and all
in line switches etc are OK.   I have remade and cleaned the connection
to the base of the antenna, but it is breaking down after 100 watts.

I am loathe to open the traps as they are like almost new, but I may
have to to have a look inside the 10m trap.

Meanwhile K5D is churning away!   hih

73 de Tom
GM4FDM

Les Elliott wrote:
> Don't know the Hustler, Tom, but traps usually add loading to the
> lower frequency.
> 73
> Les
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Wylie" <t.wylie at ntlworld.com>