[UK-CONTEST] Quest for QRO

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Sun Feb 22 16:18:32 EST 2009

David,

You wrote:

>>>Technically a falsehood as a 150w DC PA could never give 400w
PEP output with good IMD performance.  This, in my view, was a
bureaucrat's face saver and nothing else to enable us to run 400watts
out rather than 100.

I think this is a bit unfair. I don't recall that anyone ever claimed
that a 150W dc input Class C AM PA would give 400W pep of ssb out.
This is not the basis of equivalence that was or should have been
adopted.

IF the high level modulated 150W PA gave 150 W of unmodulated carrier
OUT then, when you spoke into the mic and the big audio modulator
contributed a bit to the effective input power (remember aerial
ammeters move upwards when you speak into an AM transmitter (or
should
do!)), the pep out at 100% modulation would be 600W.  No question
about this I am afraid! [ Just think that at 100% modulation the
output
peak voltage doubles to twice that of the quiescent carrier, so the
power has gone up by 4 times. That is 150W to 600W]. The idea was
that
the power licensed with ssb should give the same pep as could be
realistically achieved with AM high level mod.
The question that was then presented is 'what was a realistic
estimate
of the efficiency of a Class C PA in a high level modulated
amplifier,
since the old licence conditions referred, as you say, to 150W dc
INPUT
and not output as I used above'?  The figure of 66% was settled upon
although some folk claimed they could do better than that!! Hence
600W
x 0.66 = 400W pep. Perhaps the efficiency chosen gave a rather
convenient round number as an answer and maybe the bureaucrats
contribution was to deny us an assumed efficiency of 75% instead of
66%
and prevent us from running 450 watts pep out.

73 Bob
G3ORY

Station
>subject line. The difference between 1500w and 2Kw is not much
unlike
>the difference between 400 to 1500. As I see that Lynch, Vine Antenna
et
>al do a good trade in 1500 watt amplifiers I am sure there are many
>stations this weekend sending 5NN4TT who are understating the
situation.
>Of course we may be in a situation that comes under the heading of:
"You
>do not say and we will not ask". Most of the 1500 watt amplifier are
key
>down for ever types so the old excuse of running at 25% output does
not
>wash with me.
>
>The problem comes to those who generally want to abide by the
licence
>but at the same time do not want to be at a competitive
disadvantage.
>They have an ethical dilemma, to run 400 and be at a competitive
>disadvantage or run 1500 and operate outside the licence conditions.
If
>you are highly competitive then the decision is obvious, if on the
other
>hand you believe in the rule of law then you run at a competitive
>disadvantage. Why should we put people in this position? They could
>avoid it by going to the lower power categories but there is
something
>compelling about going for the "top" category especially for those
who
>are highly competitive.
>
>I and many others on this reflector will remember the time we had
>150watt DC input restrictions except top band with 10watts DC input.
>can remember competing in RTTY contests in the early 70s when that
meant
>no more than 100 watts output or may be 110 watts if the PA was very
>efficient. Then some one came up with the idea that 100% modulated
AM
>with 150w DC input became an output of 400 watts of Peak Envelope
Power

What's on TV tonight? - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/tv