[UK-CONTEST] Quest for QRO

James Thresher James.Thresher at Jaama.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 07:36:00 EST 2009

Option 2 every time, there's no point in having high power of any kind if you can't hear the other stations :) But then I am currently limited to 10w so improving the antenna's is the only option I have until I upgrade to a full licence.

It's surprising what you can do with 10w and an excellent antenna system, the problem is when other competitors have an excellent antenna system AND high power.

If anyone knows how to fit an 80ft tower with 4 over 4 SteppIR's into a 16x100ft garden let me know ;)

73 James M3YOM

-----Original Message-----
From: uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Clive Whelan
Sent: 23 February 2009 12:17
Cc: uk-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] Quest for QRO

Dear Aunt

I presently run 400w into a C3SS at 29ft a.g.l., plus assorted verticals.

An anonymous benefactor has offered me two options to upgrade my contest
station ( well that's what I dreamt anyway ;-) )

Option 1 was a straight trade of my amp. for a Henry 8K.

Option 2 was a 4 over 4 SteppIR on an 80ft tower, a shorty forty on a
separate tower, and a full sized vertical for 80m. Retain my ACOM1000.

Which one do you think I should go for?

Confused of Cardiff

aka GW3NJW

73