[UK-CONTEST] FW: Quest for QRO

Ian Trusson ian.trusson at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 23 09:02:57 EST 2009

The increase in CW output power from 100W to 400W (6dB) for CW operators in
effect compensated them for the increase from 25W per AM sideband to 400W
SSB (12dB) which the phone operators benefited from.

The phone operators got 6dB more benefit from the change, but they were
changing to a more efficient mode so I guess it was fair that they should
have received more benefit.

If CW had been kept at 100W I think that would have been very unreasonable,
reducing the intrinsic advantage of CW over phone. Having the same power
limit for both modes made more sense. I think they got it right!

Regards,
Ian, G3RVM