[UK-CONTEST] What is contest competiton for?

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Mon Feb 23 11:23:57 EST 2009

2009/2/23 Tom Wylie <t.wylie at ntlworld.com>:
> I wonder how many people have even been disqualified for a rules violation?

I know of several. And many more that have been dealt with by way of a
'quiet word' - public admonishment is not always the best way of
achieving change of behaviour.

> Ham radio contesting apart from National Field Day is a self regulating
> sport  (Do they still do station inspections for NFD - I used to do them
> but haven't been asked for years)....

Yes. I've done them for the past few years. And had my own NFD station
inspected recently.

> It is nigh impossible to verify rule violations except perahps frequency
> violations.   How many operators join the QRP section but run 100w or
> more?    How many station run excessive power?

If you read between the lines of the announcements recently concerning
the 80m CC SSB results, there was obviously some investigation going
on around rule violations. From my own time as an adjudicator, it's
indeed pretty hard to rigidly enforce such rules - but there are many
ways to keep an eye on what's going on and take action when necessary.

Rules are meant to be obeyed. Good rules are obeyed by the vast
majority. That's the only way

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter at bowyer.org
Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/peeebeee