[UK-CONTEST] Sleep, 48 Hour Contests, Multi op team selection and SO entry

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 25 05:38:17 EST 2009

I was watching a programme last night concerning sleep and it seems that
about 80% of the population have to get their sleep in. However there
are 20% who can stay awake for considerable periods of time without
compromising their ability to perform. May be an additional selection
for Multi op contest team after operating skill is our inherited ability
to go without sleep.

The presenter, one of the 80%,  tried a drug which let him go for 48
hours without sleep and without performance degradation. If anything it
improved his reaction times. But the drug caused serious skin rash,
which could if he repeated the drug have lethal consequences for him- so
no short cuts for the 80%.

Unfortunately for contest performance, I am not in the 20% minority but
in the 80% majority and need to sleep during the normal sleeping
periods. A definite disadvantage for 48 hour SO2R contesting and
especially so for low band contests. Therefore for me single band 10m or
15m might be a better bet than all band entries. This in turn would
influence what antennas to put on the mast.

David G3YYD