[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC G3BJ

g3wvg at btinternet.com g3wvg at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 6 09:42:30 EST 2009

As well as antenna height and type, location in the UK seems to play a huge
part in these monthly evening contests.  Even 30 miles one way or the other
seems to make a difference from month to month.  ..eg From here in Surrey
I've always done best in April.
Conditions this month were uncharacteristically good for all inter-uk qsos.
There were a few extraordinarily big signals stations on the band. The
Scottish stations, however, were not as loud as might normally be expected
in January. Which is tough on them since this should be their best
propagation!

I used a dipole mostly at 70 ft with one leg sloping down to 30ft, (will fix
for AFS!) and an old FT1000MP running 100W. Ended up with 136 QSOs of which
about 25 were S+P. Good for January but a long way behind the leaders.

73 Ian G3WVG