[UK-CONTEST] Re UBN Reports.

Olof Lundberg olof at rowanhouse.com
Thu Jan 22 02:59:01 EST 2009

Brian,

With Roger I think you have covered a lot of ground here. When I got back to
contesting after many years of absence I had a similar experience to yours
in my first CQWW entry, having followed the logging practice we used in the
60s.

I assume you do a lot of running from 5B. With low power and wet strings I
do almost all S&P. The biggest frustration for me is those who tell me I am
a dupe when I am not. I think that what happens is that they run at speed
and believe everything they hear is working them while I actually may have
worked someone 500Hz away from them. I miss a qso and perhaps a multiplier
and he gets a NIL or we both waste time while I try to convince him
otherwise. The very obvious solution: just log the dupes, fast and smoothly.
Occasionally - but rarely ;-) - I may have had his call wrong first time I
worked him, such as logging SH5HH in stead of S55HH when he was running at
60wpm. Also in that case the simple solution would have been just to log
again and ignore the dupe warning.

Have a lock at this: http://www.rdxc.org/results/2004/mist.asp . It is the
best analysis I have seen of the physics of logging errors.

73 de Olof G0CKV