[UK-CONTEST] Sequence of a typical Contest exchange

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sun Jan 25 13:58:17 EST 2009

EI5DI said:

>> "Will your developers still have enthusiasm for the project
>> after the first 3 or 4 years, never mind the first 13 or 14?  :-)"

G4MKP replied

> Who cares?

It's clear you don't.

What tends to happen is that many contesters who can string more
than three or four lines of code (computer code) together have the
bright idea of writing a contest logger.  That was me in 1989.

Naturally, the new logger will be better than most of those around.
It will look really good, and will be ready in about 6 months; it
will take advantage of the latest techniques; it will support all
present contests and will be easily expandable for future events;
it will be equally effective as both a station logger and a contest
logger.  Of course, it will be platform-independent, meaning it
will run on any computer - that's essential these days.

I forgot one thing - it will be free.

Reality is somewhat different. It takes a couple of years to debug
and refine the first efforts, then another couple of years before
any significant numbers of contesters switch to it.  They will only
do that when they are confident the new logger will be around for
a while.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution to the debate.

73,
Paul EI5DI