[UK-CONTEST] Sequence of a typical Contest exchange

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 20:43:22 EST 2009

>>> Who cares?
>
>> It's clear you don't.
>
> Well, for what it's worth neither do I  . . .

Well, that's not a lot in my book.  From comments that have appeared on this
forum over the years, support has a major influence on most people's choice
of logger.  And of course new contests never arise, the rules for existing
ones are really stable and contest entry formats have never been known to
change . . .  You will have noted that new issues of logger software are
never needed, for these reasons.

And when the programmers find something more interesting (or lucrative) to
do, that's when software reaches it's EOL.  In principle that shouldn't
happen when it's open source (Mac?), but finding someone else to pick up the
pieces is rarely trivial.

Just as an example, ask those responsible for the defence of the realm why
they've stuck with MS and its issues for their non-safety-critical
applications.  And the answer is because it has a developed support
structure.

73, Peter G3LET