[UK-CONTEST] QRM?

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 27 16:54:36 EST 2009

> A few moans as well: I got attacked by the continuous carrier jammer on a
couple of occasions, >which was irritating. But more significantly, three
times, I found a clear frequency, and after the >necessary "QRL?" a few
times, started working stuff, only to be jumped on a few minutes later by
>someone claiming they had been on the freq all night. Well perhaps, but
they were evidently not >there when I called QRL ? and were I suspect
S&P-ing. I had a long discussion with an OK1 >who was one of the culprits,
but to no avail. This is poor operating in my opinion. If you go S&P >you
run the risk of losing your run frequency - you can't leave a "reserved"
sign on the channel !

(Tempting to do so when taking a quick urgent visit to the little room which
has already been discussed!)

I must apologise to the station who thought that he'd found a clear
frequency in SSB AFS. I'd not left the frequency but the linear PSU had
tripped & I'd not noticed that I was talking to myself for a minute or so!
(at least both being G's we came to an amicable agreement - I kept the
frequency).

 I experienced what appeared to be a deliberate (but unsuccessful) attempt
at causing QRM during SSB AFS on 3693 where I had been operating for some
time. This sounded very much like amateur analogue SSTV. I can't find any
commercial FAX service listed on this frequency & I've not heard the signal
on this frequency since. I'll give SSTV'ers benefit of doubt as it could
have been anyone out to cause QRM, all it takes these days is a PC with a
sound card to make SSTV noises. I wonder whether anyone else suffered from
attempts at deliberate QRM from an SSTV type signal during this contest?

73....

Ken

G3LVP

--