[UK-CONTEST] QRM?

Jiri Culak jiriculak at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 16:55:56 EST 2009

Well

World of contesting, certainly in eastern parts of EU continent, is taking
very strange and disputable direction.
I know fropm my own experience and from what I have been told by very close
fellow contesters that some single op entrants
Do take their efforts so seriously, that they are using help of other
"members" and as soon as you send QRL? within anywhere
Closer than 1.5kHz from main man's run qrg, they will send yes. If they
missed you in that you could be sure of deliberate QRM and jamming.

I know that lot of guys sometimes overstep on rule or another but lateral
thinking and healthy behavoiour and ham spirit should be present
At all times. Competition is great think and I love it, but ~I wouldn't feel
any satisfaction even if winning as a result of cheating, qrming
And making sure other entrants will have more difficult path.

Shame is that it used to be domain of small-mid guns unable to perform well,
but now it is spreading across the field.

Another example would be unofficial "reclassification" of sections where QRP
means 100W and LP as long as under 1kW and argumenting
That "everybody does it". (I heard that one by my own ears)

In CQ WW 160CW I had a bash with Dave (G6H) from local club, inv L with 40ft
Vertical + not best earth system and bare foot 857.
I reckon we were good signal in EU so even we operated for less than 2
hours, we had some carriers too. It just spoils your day
And ruins whatever fun it meant to be. Usually if I don't pay any attention
to it and just work what I can hear they go away. Biggest mistake was when
I let them know they are causing damage.

Re- 1800-1810, it is breaking rules and conditions but it would be great if
IARU R1 were pushing for releasing this part of band too.
It would be great to see expansion of 40m too as it seems that BC will go
away soon.

73 and GN

Jiri M0ITY